You’ve seen all the gurus promising you “3 Simple Steps to… (fill in the blank).
Are you tired of being overwhelmed by all the “expert advice” out there about how to grow your business? Do you find that, instead of propelling you forward, it leaves you stuck in a cess-pool of confusion?
You’re not alone.
There was a time when there was a lack of information – about what to do, and how to do it. No longer. Now, we have just the opposite situation – we are inundated with so much information from the “gurus” and their “3 Simple Steps to Make a Mint in 10 Minutes” (or something of the sort).
The problem today is not a lack of information; it’s a lack of discernment! A lack of distinguishing between what is and is not right for you, for your business, at this time.
Let’s take social media for example. Remember when there were only a few platforms to choose from? Now it’s like a shopping list of options – enough to have you spinning like a whirling dervish!
I get it! I, too, have fallen into the trap of adding on one social media platform after another to my “Must Do” list. It started with a Facebook personal page, then a Facebook Fan (business) page, plus Twitter, plus LinkedIn, plus a Blog, plus Facebook Live, plus Hootsuite (to help me manage all this),…and Instagram,…Pinterest,….
Yikes! I expect you know what happened. I couldn’t maintain it all. Well, not do that and actually RUN my business,…you know, coaching my clients, generating new business, etc.
So, what can you do – whether it’s regarding social media or all the other “shiny nickels” that pop into your awareness (via email, Facebook ads, etc.)? Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Consider your specific business, your talents, your personality / temperament, your priorities and goals
- Pay attention to the experts you trust but, as Dr. Phil says, “Never substitute my judgement for your own.”
- Disconnect from the flood of “Thou Shalts” and “3 Simple Steps to Stardom” messages and focus on your own race
- In the words of Robin Sharma (one of my favourite peak performance mentors), “Dream big. Start small.” As you know, “Rome wasn’t built in a day” and it will take some time to grow your business as well (though maybe not as long as you think).
- Select those projects, platforms, etc. that you believe are the most strategic (notice I didn’t say easiest or most fun) options for you…and use them. Remember, excellence is in the action. Be consistent and really connect with your audience.
- And know that you can add other platforms, etc., as and when appropriate, over time.
I hear the wheels turning. “What if I don’t know where to start?” you may be thinking. Staying with the social media example, what if I don’t know what platform to use? Or what I want to share? Or even who, exactly, I want to talk to?
Not to worry. As a business coach, I help clients with these types of questions – and others – every day. I can help you go from overwhelm to action so you can grow your business – AND have a life at the same time!!
No, I don’t have “3 Simple Steps” to get you there, but – through a strategic conversation about you, your business, and your top priorities and goals, we’ll discuss your best next steps to move you forward to the business and live you desire!
Contact me today to schedule a COMPLIMENTARY “Simplify My Business, Maximize My Life” Strategy Call. Just click here and you’ll be taken to my online calendar and you can select a day and time that works for you. Simple, right? 😉